Saturday, July 30, 2016

And I Darken Review


Summery:

 No one expects a princess to be brutal. And Lada Dragwalya likes it that way. Ever since she and gentle younger brother, Radu, were wrenched from their homeland of Wallchia and abandoned by their father to be raised in the Ottoman courts, Lada has known that being ruthless is the key to survival. She and Radu are doomed to act as pawns in a vicious game, an unseen sword hovering over their every move. For lineage that makes them special also makes them targets.

Lada despises the Ottomans and bids her time, planning her vengeance for the day when she can return to Wallachia and claim her birthright. Radu longs only for a place where he feels safe. And when they meet Mehmed, the defiant and lonely son of the sultan, Radu feels that he's made a true friend-and Lada wonders if she's finally found someone worthy of her passion.

But Mehmed is heir to the very empire that Lada ha sworn to fight agaist-and that Radu now considers home. Together, Lada, Radu, and Mehmed form a toxic triangle that strains the bonds of love and loyalty to the breaking point.

My Thoughts:

This book was different than I expected. I was kind of expecting to find a more boring and slow book, since jessethereader said in a video that he wasn't very fond of Kristen White's writing, and he is one of the youtubers that I do trust when it comes to picking out my next book. I guess going into the book with such low expectations really helped me enjoy it in the long run.

Lada was such a badass character, and one of my favourites in this book. Like this book really should how much she struggled as a woman in the 1400's with woman basically being degraded all the time, and seeing Lada go above really shows how much time she spent on how she is looked at.

Radu was an interesting addition to the story plot, and kind of had a different side of the struggle of the 1400's. While Lada his sister, struggled with being a girl, Radu was in love with Mehmed; whom was a male, and it was very much so frowned upon being gay at that time.

Mehmed was just there for me. I don't really care about him, and I felt like he wasn't really there for having Lada as an equal, or Radu as more than just a friend.

Rate:

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment